Skip to main content

Society's Never-ending Debate - Who is Plus Sized?

The debate continues about women who are curvier, heavier, plus sized...whatever your favorite terminology is for women who are not Size 0-14, or in the fashion world, Sizes X0-4! In 2014 I wrote about Designers who were confused about what plus size is and who also didn't want to dress women who were larger than a size 0.

Once again in 2016, this debate that constantly has us, full-figured, curvy women, being pitted against the woman who is a size zero or regular size is still an issue today because of the Fashion Models being used by Designers in their fashion shows, the looks of these women being deemed as Plus Size are just not plus size. These days most Designers are also refusing to dress actresses (Melissa McCarthy, and most recently Leslie Jones) who are not a size zero is such a thoughtless thing, this kind of insensitivity must end.
Models at Lanvin Paris Show
Photo: Maria Valentino-Washington Post



Seeing larger sized women in my favorite MagRags (Magazines) and on television is always very encouraging, and I love to see what they wear and how they put themselves together. Knowing that they are having such a hard time to look their best just because of another person who feels they are not the right size to wear their clothing, or to even have a stylist style their looks? Is not very encouraging to hear! Being a size 18, I don't always love my body, there are days when I really dislike my shape, my belly, my thighs, my knocked-knees, and even my gap-toothed smile.
DonnaForeverserenity for Fabulously Curvy Blog

However, I am learning to love myself more everyday and appreciate who I am. It is sometimes hard to feel that you are good enough because of the un-realistic standards of Society. There are so many demands on us as individuals, where race, gender and size plays a major role in how we feel about who we are. This is why it is so important for us to love ourselves. We must be authentic, meaning to learn who you are, what your likes, dislikes, and even your quirks are. Then you go about your daily life being who you are, living as honestly as possible, being yourself. You do not take shit from anyone, yet you respect life and everything it offers. That is living life authentically. Find what you admire most about yourself and love that person looking back at you in the mirror. And if Society and these designers cannot see the beauty in the many representations of women that are out there, then that is their loss! Let us go forth and find our own styles, and those who will do for us the way we want, or create for ourselves! We should take our self confidence to the next level of self-love.
In the article linked below, written in 2010, and still so relevant today, Journalist for the Washington Post Robin Givhan discussed the size of plus size models in the fashion industry, asks who is really plus size, and states that the conversation will begin again pondering about the sizes of models and whether they are big enough, or too small to be plus size because of upcoming Fashion Weeks, and particularly because of one of the Magrags I like to read, W Magazine feature, "The Size Issue" where their plus size model featured is a size 12! Yes curvy divas, again, still a size 12! We have heard this all before haven't we? Take a look at the article linked below, and let me know your thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curvy Looks: What I Wore In a Week

I like reviewing my Style-looks to see how my fashion has progressed, what clothing I intend to keep during my #Showmeyourcloset make over (more on this soon) and also just in case I have to re-think my style strategy when in work-mode. There are good days when my looks are on pointe, and those moments when I wonder what the heck was I thinking with a look that I wore! That may have happened to you as well at times curvy divas?! You know, when the clothing you wore makes you go...WTF?!  This was not how I envisioned this look. I can't wait to get home to take it off!lol! Been there, done that so many times! haha

The Look: New Year's Eve the Weddington Way

Picture this curvy divas, your friend is getting married on New Year's Eve, oh the joy! Then she asks you to be her bridesmaid, and guess what else?  No, not wear that same bouffant dress from her cousin's wedding, oh the horror.  You will be able to create your very own bridesmaid style, your way!!!! Your instructions are, since you are ready for this adventure, "You have to select from the bride's choice of dresses".   All you have to do is accessorize!!!!  This beautiful champagne lace dress from Weddington Way is the one!  Picture this, I'm thinking  monochromatic & luxe femininity . H owever, do not outshine the bride, that's always a no-no! The Weddington Way Nora Dress: A perfect choice.   Gorgeous, lace styling, monochromatic, yet luxe - you could style this many ways. Weddington Way Nora Bridesmaid dress in Champagne  Our choices: Lace gloves:   What better way to add that air of sophistication and femininity, with an oomph of lux

Vintage Vogue

In March of 2012 before I decided to create this blog, I shared my love for Vogue magazine on my d-foreverserenity blog with the article I am super-imposing below. I have this "thing" for magazines. I won't say obsession...I love the glossy pages, the colors, and usually read them from cover to cover....! I had so many magazines piled up, I had to get rid of them...and yes, regretted it the minute I did! Anyway, I'm so glad there are online choices now!!!! Takes up less place in my bedroom!lol! I have saved some of my favorite issues, and shared some style inspiration and observation below. These were my  favorite looks from a  Vogue  magazine issue from August 2006 , six years ago in the past, I know, but I have tons of mags and I love  flipping  through the pages!  These  looks are so fresh today !!  Vogue  featured the color combination of  "The  Red  is the new Black" - red being the new black at the time! Patrick Demarchelier, photographer and model