Skip to main content

Society's Never-ending Debate - Who is Plus Sized?

The debate continues about women who are curvier, heavier, plus sized...whatever your favorite terminology is for women who are not Size 0-14, or in the fashion world, Sizes X0-4! In 2014 I wrote about Designers who were confused about what plus size is and who also didn't want to dress women who were larger than a size 0.

Once again in 2016, this debate that constantly has us, full-figured, curvy women, being pitted against the woman who is a size zero or regular size is still an issue today because of the Fashion Models being used by Designers in their fashion shows, the looks of these women being deemed as Plus Size are just not plus size. These days most Designers are also refusing to dress actresses (Melissa McCarthy, and most recently Leslie Jones) who are not a size zero is such a thoughtless thing, this kind of insensitivity must end.
Models at Lanvin Paris Show
Photo: Maria Valentino-Washington Post



Seeing larger sized women in my favorite MagRags (Magazines) and on television is always very encouraging, and I love to see what they wear and how they put themselves together. Knowing that they are having such a hard time to look their best just because of another person who feels they are not the right size to wear their clothing, or to even have a stylist style their looks? Is not very encouraging to hear! Being a size 18, I don't always love my body, there are days when I really dislike my shape, my belly, my thighs, my knocked-knees, and even my gap-toothed smile.
DonnaForeverserenity for Fabulously Curvy Blog

However, I am learning to love myself more everyday and appreciate who I am. It is sometimes hard to feel that you are good enough because of the un-realistic standards of Society. There are so many demands on us as individuals, where race, gender and size plays a major role in how we feel about who we are. This is why it is so important for us to love ourselves. We must be authentic, meaning to learn who you are, what your likes, dislikes, and even your quirks are. Then you go about your daily life being who you are, living as honestly as possible, being yourself. You do not take shit from anyone, yet you respect life and everything it offers. That is living life authentically. Find what you admire most about yourself and love that person looking back at you in the mirror. And if Society and these designers cannot see the beauty in the many representations of women that are out there, then that is their loss! Let us go forth and find our own styles, and those who will do for us the way we want, or create for ourselves! We should take our self confidence to the next level of self-love.
In the article linked below, written in 2010, and still so relevant today, Journalist for the Washington Post Robin Givhan discussed the size of plus size models in the fashion industry, asks who is really plus size, and states that the conversation will begin again pondering about the sizes of models and whether they are big enough, or too small to be plus size because of upcoming Fashion Weeks, and particularly because of one of the Magrags I like to read, W Magazine feature, "The Size Issue" where their plus size model featured is a size 12! Yes curvy divas, again, still a size 12! We have heard this all before haven't we? Take a look at the article linked below, and let me know your thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall 2012 Trends

Summer is not yet over but already the fashion world has moved on, for some time now, to Fall !  I love to peruse any information I see about Fall Fashions before the season begins too; learning what the colors and styles will be, and to see if there are any trends to follow. Where trends are concerned, I firmly believe that it is best to choose the look that will work best for you.  You can follow a trend, but you should tweak it to make it your own! This is how you discover your own sense of style! I love receiving emails from Ken Downing, Fashion Director for Neiman Marcus !  He shared quite a lot of details in his latest E-mail newsletter to me!  To start off, one of Fall's fashion trend will be the: Statement Handbag : Michael Kors Skorpios Haircalf Ring Tote - $1,695 from Neiman Marcus on neimanmarcus.com Yes, animal print continues even into the Fall season!  Budget conscious divas will do what we do best and shop around for th...

The Best Hair Color for You

You choose your outfit with care, down to the shoes you wear for that particular look.  You put your makeup on, and now it's time for your hair.....why is it not looking its best?  Everything that you do in trying to style it, is just so wrong!  You're ready to scream or pull your hair out!!!! Have you ever had a bad hair day?  I know I have, more than once!  Usually, if I'm lucky, I'll have time to wear a hat, a wig or pin my hair in a way to make it work!  It doesn't matter who you are, for every woman, if your hair isn't at its best, you will not be too ! When you have your hair, as some might say "did" or "done" you know you will be at your fabulously curvy best !  One of the  things I like to do is color my hair. Yes, it's chemical, so I guess I'm not totally au naturel!  You can try a rinse, which is a way to temporarily color your hair with a new look, or you can use a permanent color and rock your hair the way you want! ...

Wearing Red

It's Valentine's Day again and I'm sure many of you curvy divas are wondering what to wear tonight?  Some of us have plans, but others will keep it low keyed at home...or not! Whatever you do curvy divas, I found some great suggestions on Elle.com!  They featured RED , in everything, accessories, clothing, make up, even underwear!  Here are my favorite picks! I LOVE this dress! The silhouette is beautiful and will flatter most body types!  I checked and this item doesn't go larger than a size 12 by the designer, and they are out of this style at Neiman Marcus, however, it's a great look and you can find something similar elsewhere!  If it is too long, find a shorter length. Rachel Pally Caftan V-neck dress -  +Neiman Marcus photo courtesy Neiman Marcus via Elle.com A fire engine red dress!!! Always great in any woman's wardrobe if she dares to wear it! This beautiful dress is also not available in larger sizes. It goes to...