Skip to main content

Plus Size Hair Salons?

When I saw the above loosely titled from the article I read on allure.com, my interest was peaked!  A hair salon for plus sized women?  Say what now? I wondered to myself!  I'm not sure how I feel about this?  I can understand going to the gym, as the author of the article mentioned, feeling weird being amongst the svelte, skinny-types and feel as if you're a lamb going to slaughter (at least in my head), and being more comfortable in a gym with women of my size, but at a hair salon?

Hmmm, trying to visualize..walk with me curvy divas....walking into said plus sized hair salon and either you're the only one there, or there are only women size 14 and up there. While there's nothing aesthetically wrong with that picture, because we love our curvy divas, however, would that make you comfortable?  Personally, when I go to a hair salon, I want to see what the stylists are doing with other people's hair, I'm not too worried about what body type the customers are! So I most certainly would feel as if I am a lamb going to the slaughter!



I want to be in an environment where I am comfortable yes, but I also want to be in a socially trendy place where everyone will come to have their beauty needs met because of the reputation of the salon and the rocking stylists they have, not just because of one particular type of woman.  While there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a hair salon such as that, it might not be the best thing as our Society would somehow stigmatize the larger sized woman more than they are already doing! We want inclusion, not separation! Curvy divas are fabulous and we rock!

Go to the full article link below!

http://www.allure.com/beauty-trends/blogs/daily-beauty-reporter/2011/10/plus-size-hair-salons.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall 2012 Trends

Summer is not yet over but already the fashion world has moved on, for some time now, to Fall !  I love to peruse any information I see about Fall Fashions before the season begins too; learning what the colors and styles will be, and to see if there are any trends to follow. Where trends are concerned, I firmly believe that it is best to choose the look that will work best for you.  You can follow a trend, but you should tweak it to make it your own! This is how you discover your own sense of style! I love receiving emails from Ken Downing, Fashion Director for Neiman Marcus !  He shared quite a lot of details in his latest E-mail newsletter to me!  To start off, one of Fall's fashion trend will be the: Statement Handbag : Michael Kors Skorpios Haircalf Ring Tote - $1,695 from Neiman Marcus on neimanmarcus.com Yes, animal print continues even into the Fall season!  Budget conscious divas will do what we do best and shop around for th...

How to Wear Glitter in the Daytime

Have you ever worn sequin aka glitter?  It is pretty much a trend in fashion these days.  Glitter is worn mostly at nights and for real special and dressier occasions. But not so today curvy divas. Glitter can also be worn during the day!  I've worn glitter during the day time before and I try to make it look as understated as possible!  You don't need too much accessories when you wear glitter.  It is pretty much how you put your outfit together! On Elle.com Amanda Fitzsimons interviewed designer Marissa Webb who is known for using sequins during the daytime!  Amanda wanted to know if this look (daytime glitter) can really work? Marissa said it definitely can and thinks it is in how shine the sequinned (or glittered) garment that choose to wear is. It is not just in the size of the beadings at all! I tend to agree with her.   I don't think a really shiny sequinned garment on its own, would work for daytime. That would definitely be overkill! ...

Wearing Red

It's Valentine's Day again and I'm sure many of you curvy divas are wondering what to wear tonight?  Some of us have plans, but others will keep it low keyed at home...or not! Whatever you do curvy divas, I found some great suggestions on Elle.com!  They featured RED , in everything, accessories, clothing, make up, even underwear!  Here are my favorite picks! I LOVE this dress! The silhouette is beautiful and will flatter most body types!  I checked and this item doesn't go larger than a size 12 by the designer, and they are out of this style at Neiman Marcus, however, it's a great look and you can find something similar elsewhere!  If it is too long, find a shorter length. Rachel Pally Caftan V-neck dress -  +Neiman Marcus photo courtesy Neiman Marcus via Elle.com A fire engine red dress!!! Always great in any woman's wardrobe if she dares to wear it! This beautiful dress is also not available in larger sizes. It goes to...